Wednesday, May 3, 2017

The Perfect Day

For me a perfect day would be spent near Lake Michigan. We would get there early, abou nine or ten in the morning, to set up. A good majority of my extended family and friends would be there. Near the lake there is a grassy hill that leads down into the sand. That is where we would set up. People would bring blankets and chairs to sit on, and tables for the food. My uncle would brig his grill to cook, and his boat to drive out onto the lake. The younger people would spend hours swimming or being pulled on a raft behind the boat, and our parents would stay behind to cook and socialize.

Then when the food was ready we would come back and dry off. Then, sitting together, everyone would eat and talk. People would lay down and sunbathe until everyone was done. Then we would go out on the lake again. Later, when the sun was setting, we would all help to clean. We would load everything onto the cars and start driving home. When we arrived, me and my family would gather around in the living room to watch a movie. Afterwards we woul all get ready and go to sleep.

I remember that when I was really young we did this all the time during the Summer months. Everybody would go, and we alway came home exhausted but happy. Sadly, the visits waned out as we started to age. These used to be the highlight of my week, but now I can't even remember the last time one of these days happened. I suppose these kinds of things go with time, but I sometimes wish that they didn't. The nostalgia is strong in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment