Thursday, May 4, 2017

Socratic Seminar Reflection

The Socratic seminars have made me think deeper on things like death (which came up a lot), life, friends, society, and family. Very often during the seminars we often analyze these things wit extreme focus, and then we start to wonder about their possible meanings for Tuesdays With Morrie. Honestly without the seminars most of us wouldn't think too deeply on any of the topics brought up. Analysis of things we do and why we do them really made me think about how the reading affects our actions. Then reading more in the books would just add on to what we had discussed and would elaborate on the ideas brought up, making the seminars all the more interesting.

I noticed that, for me at least, there was a lot of participation.  I spoke a lot more than I did during other seminars before these, and  what I said was a bit more relevant to the topics.  I noticed also that for my goals they all kind of shifted around a bit. One day it wants to try to not talk over others, the next it had something to do with bringing other people into the conversation.  It all depends on how the day went and what I notice from other people in the group. Actively, I tried to see how I could bring up things from my seminar guys into the discussion, and I tried to consider more what other people were saying.

 As a class, the seminars started out with a lot of not so in-depth discussions on a multitude of topics, and then funneled  down to the main topics of the book and a lot of very deep conversations of them and their meaning. For example the last seminar that we had had the least amount of topics but we discussed a lot more personal effects of the topics and our opinions on. Then for participation when we're doing a lot better towards the end with everybody contributing at least a couple things.  We had the least amount of participation in the beginning, which overall was stillgreat, and the most towards the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment