Monday, March 14, 2016

Blog for 1/27/16 poetry response

      The poem I choose is, "Fire&Ice" by Robert Frost. This poem is about a person that is telling the audience how they think that the world will end, at first they seem to believe that fire is the most destructive of the two, however at the end they admit that both would "suffice".  However I believe that there is a deeper meaning to the poem. I believe that when they refer to "the world" being destroyed, they mean a person being destroyed by an inner conflict. If that were true the person would be split between acting based on their emotions and acting based on logic. (Hence the name "Fire&Ice")
      This poem reminds me of how I often feel when wondering on how to deal with conflicts. It feels like my brain has separated itself into two parts. The logical side and the more emotional side. As I believe in being blunt, like my mother, my more emotional side tends to win that internal argument. I am also told that I tend to be hotheaded, again like my mother, and can be brash at times. (I am beginning to see a theme here.) While I like to think about things, if I get very angry or happy I act without thinking. On the other hand some people tell me that sometimes I seem like I overthink things. That, and I can put out a cold exterior that makes me look very unfriendly. In that way I am also like my father. When I'm angry, and not yelling, I tend to shut the world out and retreat into my mind. That gives off an emotionless front.

This is the image that I imagine when I read this poem:

No comments:

Post a Comment